Welcome to the official website of Plat_Forms - The web development platform comparison
Its purpose is not to determine "the" best web development platform, but rather to provide new insights into the real (rather than purported) pros, cons, and emergent properties of each platform. The evaluation will analyze many aspects of each solution, both external (usability, functionality, reliability, security, performance, etc.) and internal (structure, modularity, understandability, flexibility, etc.).
The first instance of Plat_Forms (with only Java, Perl, and PHP) took place in January 2007.
The 2011 instance of Plat_Forms took place January 18th to 19th, 2011, in Nürnberg (Germany).
The 2012 instance of Plat_Forms will take place early 2012. We will inform you here and on our announcement mailing list (see below) as soon as we know the details.
Plat_Forms Unconference 2011
From November 25 to November 27, 2011, we hosted an unconference at the Institut für Informatik of the Freie Universität Berlin where we presented the results of the 2011 execution of Plat_Forms and discussed web development platforms-related topics. Please see https://wiki.plat-forms.org/PlatForms/UnConference2011 for more information.
- During the contest, we will blog so that you can share some of the experience even if you are not on site. See the 2007 blog.
- The results will be posted about half a year after the contest. (Yes, we do serious evaluation!)
What you can do now
- Think about topics you'd like to discuss at our unconference from November 25 to 27, 2011.
- Read the Plat_Forms 2011 announcement.
- Read a summary of Plat_Forms 2007 (PDF)
- Subscribe to our announcements mailing list (low-volume: about one message per week) or use the RSS feed of our Blog, which will carry roughly the same content.
- Become a sponsor of Plat_Forms 2011.
(Make sure you also subscribe to the mailing list!)
- Visit the Plat_Forms 2007 website
- Read about the history of Plat_Forms